About the Violin
The violin is a sting instrument with four strings usually tuned in perfect fifths. It is the smallest and highest-pitched member of the violin family of string instruments, which also includes the viola and cello.
The violin is sometimes informally called a fiddle, regardless of the type of music played on it. The word violin comes from the Middle Latin word vitula, meaning stringed instrument; this word is also believed to be the source of the Germanic "fiddle". The violin, while it has ancient origins, acquired most of its modern characteristics in 16th-century Italy, with some further modifications occurring in the 18th century.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our violins
All the violins offered for rental have been professionally set up including D’addario or Pirastro strings.
Our technicians have adjusted the bridge, pegs, soundpost, recut and refitted the nut to ensure that the instrument you receieve will maximise the players learning experience.
Please find below the average size of Violin you we need according to the students age.
- Full Size - Generally suitable for students 13+ years old
- 3/4 Size - Generally suitable for students 11 to 12 years old
- 1/2 Size - Generally suitable for students 9 to 10 years old
- 1/4 Size - Generally suitable for students 7 to 8 years old
- 1/8 Size - Generally suitable for students 5 to 6 years old
- 1/16 Size - Generally suitable for students 3 to 4 years old